By Scott Tibbs, October 14, 2011
Following is the schedule for the distribution of the 2011 Community Service Grants distributed by the Monroe County Council. Because of budget hearings, this has been pushed back and is taking place later than normal.
- Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 8:30 a.m. at the Bakehouse -- Initial Committee Review
- Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 5:30 p.m., in the Conference Room 100 B, Monroe County Government Center, 501 N. Morton, Bloomington -- Public Meeting for Presentation for Top Applicants
- Monday, November 7, 2011 at 1200 p.m. -- Meeting for Final Decision
- Wednesday, November 9, 2011, in Court Room 213, Justice Facility, 301 N. College Avenue, Bloomington -- Announce Selection Committee Results to Council Work Session
- Tuesday, November 22, 2011, in Court Room 213, Justice Facility, 301 N. College Avenue, Bloomington -- County Council Votes on Awards
For the past two years, Planned Parenthood has requested a handout from county government, and has gotten the money despite the well-documented fact that Planned Parenthood has much more money available than smaller, truly local charities. Planned Parenthood's gravy train from city government has been going for 12 years, but the subsidies from county government are fairly new.
I don't know yet if Planned Parenthood has applied for a handout from county government, but I expect they will. This community needs to stand up and say "no" to corporate welfare for the merchants of death.
Here is the contact information for members of the committee:
||Community Member, Chair